Monday, August 26, 2013

That Summer by Jo Huddleston

That SummerMy rating: 3 of 5 stars

Jim has had all he can take of his father's abuse and poverty on the farm, so he runs away to get a job in town and live his own life. He "forgets" his mother's advice, and strays from the Godly teaching he was brought up with. He falls for two very different girls, and things get complicated from there.

The story begins well, showing the abuse and lack of love Jim's father shows not only him (though he bears the brunt of the physical violence), but to his entire family. His flight away from the farm and new life in town begins a new story. The majority of his decisions are wrong from the start. He lies about his age to get a job (he's only 17 and the mandatory age is 18), quits church immediately, treats friends badly.....the list goes on. Louisa is the godly young girl Jim loses his heart to, but then there's Caroline who he loses his willpower with.

About three quarters into the book, things go downhill. 20 years is skipped with barely a mention. The "twist" in the book can be seen coming a mile away. The boy's reaction to the twist about ruined the whole book for me. I even took it to my husband to see if maybe I was looking at it through a woman's eyes and it was just a "guy thing". Nope. He thought it was pretty weird, as well. It seemed as though the last little bit of the book was rushed and more concerned with setting up the next book than finishing the first. New story lines are just barely started and left hanging, and current story lines feel rushed. This book had great possibilities, but failed to fully carry them through. I still gave it three stars as I did like most of it, and maybe the second book will improve.

I received this book from The CWA Review Crew and author Jo Huddleston for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog! I appreciate any comments, but please keep them family friendly!