Wednesday, March 27, 2013

"Stealing the Preacher" by Karen Witemeyer

Stealing the PreacherMy rating: 5 of 5 stars

Crockett Archer is on a train on the way to candidate for a church that he feels is God's will for his life. Before he gets there, the train is held up, but instead of stealing valuables, they want the preacher that is riding the train. Seems the only thing the head of the hold-up party's daughter wanted for her birthday was a preacher. Joanna Robbins is horrified that her father (a former outlaw) stole a parson for her! Trying to right the wrong, she asks that she be allowed to take a walk with the preacher alone, and then he be sent on his way. During the walk, she opens her heart to the parson that her mother on her deathbed passed to her daughter the charge to always pray for her father an continue to plant seeds that he might someday come to Christ. Their church lost their pastor to a larger town a few years before, and her desire is for a preacher to bring the church back to life. She extracts a promise that he will help her find a pastor for the church, then goes on his way. Neither expected things to turn out how they did!

I went into this book fully expecting a light, fluffy book with unbelievable circumstances. To be honest, I was guilty of judging a book by it's cover/title. I didn't expect to give it above 3 stars, and for that I apologize to the author and readers alike. I loved this book!! Joanna is a sweet girl with yearning to see her father saved, and to have a church again as a light in the community. Crockett is a man's man, a true cowboy, that gave up ranch life to follow God's calling to reach the lost and help the hurting. There's not your usual long, drawn-out misunderstanding caused by the vixen and taking up half the book (or more). Though he gives her the benefit of the doubt, Crockett sees through her immediately. I thoroughly enjoyed the characters, plot and writing. I will be reading more of this author!

I received a digital copy of this book from Bethany House through NetGalley.com for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog! I appreciate any comments, but please keep them family friendly!