Sunday, April 21, 2013

"Behond These Hills" by Sandra Robbins

Beyond These HillsMy rating: 4 of 5 stars

It's 1935, and Laurel Jackson fears the life she's always known is about to become a memory. The government is purchasing property to establish the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, and nearly all the families in Cades Cove have decided to sell. Laurel is determined to save the land her family has lived on for a hundred years.

Andrew Brady, the son of a wealthy Virginia congressman, arrives in the Cove to convince the remaining landowners to sell. Sparks fly when he meets Laurel, the outspoken young woman who is determined to thwart his every effort. Will they ever be able to put aside their differences and accept what their hearts already know?


I really enjoyed this book, especially as I live by the area it is set in. The characters feel real, like people I would enjoy knowing. They are not portrayed as perfect christians, always making the right decisions, but rather as flawed human beings with a deep love for God and desire to follow Him. This really draws Andrew both the to family and ultimately to God.

I had one definite issue with this book. When Laurel's mom and brother are having an argument in the kitchen and the dad walks in the mom says they're just having a difference in opinion. As they've been yelling at each other, the dad asks what it's all about and the mom actually says, "It's nothing for you to worry about, Matthew." His son is yelling at his wife--I would definitely call that something for him to worry about!! That dropped my review to only 4 stars.

I received a digital copy of this book from Harvest House through NetGalley.com for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog! I appreciate any comments, but please keep them family friendly!