Monday, April 22, 2013

"The Survivor" by DiAnn Mills

The SurvivorMy rating: 2 of 5 stars

Karissa Walker agrees to write the story of the brutal attack on Amy Garrett when she was a child in novel form, but someone doesn't want that book to be written. Karissa and FBI agent Santiago "Tigo" Harris broke off their relationship prior to the opening of the book, but are thrown back together as danger seems to stalk Karissa. Will Tigo finally give in to God? Will their relationship be put back together? Has Karissa gotten in over her head--again?

I thoroughly enjoyed the storyline of this book, but it had what seemed to me some major flaws.

Karissa Walker is an interesting character. Having gone through so much and been so close to death in the previous book, you'd think she'd have a little more wisdom and caution about her. No, that would make the book too boring, I guess. Never mind she and her sister and baby niece have been run off the road, someone is sending threatening emails, Amy's brother is threatening her and, oh yeah, someone has shot and grazed her as well, within less than 24 hours she's going stir crazy sitting in a hotel room, feeling like she's in prison. So let's up the ante and kill two more people and within 48 hours she's trotting off to a gun range to practice shooting by herself--no security. What an idiot!

Amy Walker is supposed to be a great Christian counselor and person, but lies, is rude, puts people in danger to fit her own agenda staying pretty much unlikeable throughout the book.

I really enjoyed Tigo and Ryan's characters. Ryan is a Christian--imperfect, but trying to win his partner to the Lord. Tigo is struggling with faith, but due to a promise to his mother and the desire to have Karissa in his life is still searching--not sure if he's willing to believe in and trust God, but not willing to give up yet. He also struggles throughout the book trying desperately to keep Karissa safe as she constantly makes boneheaded and dangerous decisions.

It was an unusual move to make most of the characters--including most of the victims/victims' families--rather unlikeable. There were precious few in the book that I really cared about by the end. I just wanted most of them to go away! Not the way I want to feel about a book! All in all, I'd have to say I really can't recommend this book. If the above things don't bother you, this just might be your cup of tea. Unfortunately, it definitely was not mine.

I received a digital copy of this book from Zondervan through NetGalley.com for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog! I appreciate any comments, but please keep them family friendly!