Thursday, September 5, 2013

The Journal by Beth Harlow

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A nameless confederate soldier is given a journal by his fiance when he goes off to fight in the war. The journal changes hands multiple times throughout the war through different circumstances, and even crosses the battle lines more than once. It is an interesting look at the Civil War through many eyes.

This is a short little book--only 62 pages--but quite interesting. You get a little peek into several lives throughout a terrible time in US history. I enjoyed the different "writers" throughout the book. It was frustrating at times to not know the end of some of their stories, but that also brings authenticity to the book. It bothered me reading of these men getting baptized to "wash away their sins" knowing that baptism is nothing more than a symbol--it does NOT save you. Other than that, I really enjoyed this little book.

I received a copy of this book from BookCrash.com for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog! I appreciate any comments, but please keep them family friendly!