Tuesday, December 4, 2012

"Heart's Safe Passage" by Laurie Alice Eakes


All Phoebe Lee wants out of life is to practice midwifery in Loudon County, Virginia.  But when she refuses to accompany her pregnant sister-in-law to help save her husband from a prison during the War of 1812, Phoebe finds herself pressed aboard a British privateer.

Captain Rafe Docherty promises to get Phoebe's brother-in-law out of prison in exchange for information Rafe needs to exact revenge on the man who destroyed his family.  As he realizes his attraction to Phoebe, she determines to get ashore before her patient goes into labor--and before her own heart is in danger.  But an enemy in their midst threatens to end their plans--and their very lives.

I won this book on The Dust Will Still Be There Tomorrow facebook page.  I really, really, REALLY wanted to like it!  Unfortunately, before the book was over, I was over the book.  I felt that the author went for shock value more than anything.  Everything was over the top.  I can't give much illustration of this without giving away too many spoilers, but by halfway through the book I could pretty much tell what would happen next just because I knew it would be extreme. 


Everyone's taste is different.  This review reflects only how I feel about this book.  I would have to only give "Heart's Safe Passage" 2 out of 5 stars.

1 comment:

  1. Oh no I hope I really like the book when I read it! I thought it sounded so good that when it was up for a giveaway I wanted to win but because I am the administer for The dust will still be there tomorrow I didn't enter the contest but brought the book for my kindle so I hope I'm not disappointed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I appreciate any comments, but please keep them family friendly!