Tuesday, December 4, 2012

"Startling Beauty: My Journey from Rape to Restoration" by Heather Gemmen


I bought a stack of books from a book store that was going out of business, and this book was in it.  I knew I had to read it.  Only God could turn a woman's worst nightmare into something of startling beauty.  While Heather's husband was at church in a meeting and her kids were asleep down the hall, a man came into her house and raped her.  After struggling with the issue, she ends up taking a pill to keep her from getting pregnant.  It doesn't work and she ends up pregnant anyway.  What makes that even worse, 2 years before she had lost a baby several months into the pregnancy, and they had not been able to conceive again.  Now she is pregnant, but with her rapist's child.  This book sucked me in and held me while I read of the way God worked in their lives through all their struggles with the after effects of the rape, and how He turned this horrible experience into something of Startling Beauty.  Very powerful book.  5 out of 5 stars.

1 comment:

  1. Oh boy!! Now I HAVE to read it! I don't know if this is going to work with us living so far apart! I can't just pop over and borrow books!! This sounds so great!
    Going on the top of my to read list!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I appreciate any comments, but please keep them family friendly!