Thursday, December 6, 2012

"The Unfinished Gift" by Dan Walsh

Wow!!  This is my second Dan Walsh book, and he knocked it out of the park again! 

Patrick Collins is seven years old, and on his Christmas list are only three items. He wants the army to find his father. He wants to leave his grandfather's house. And, for reasons even he doesn't understand, he wants the soldier that's tucked away in his grandfather's attic.

Set at Christmastime in 1943, The Unfinished Gift tells in an engaging, simple style the story of a family, and reminds us of the surprising things that affect powerful change in our hearts--like a young boy's prayers, a shoebox full of love letters, and even an old wooden soldier, long forgotten. This nostalgic story of forgiveness will engage readers everywhere.


I was almost afraid to read this book--afraid I'd be let down after the last book I read of Mr. Walsh's.  I needn't have worried.  Once again, a quiet story that wraps itself around your heart and won't let go.  I read this book in one sitting because I just couldn't put it down!  The characters are well rounded and feel real--like someone I could sit down and chat with awhile.  There wasn't huge suspense, and I could guess sometimes what would happen next--or at least pretty close to it--but that didn't seem to matter.  Dan Walsh is a master at his craft and I look forward to reading more of his books!!  Five stars out of five!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog! I appreciate any comments, but please keep them family friendly!