Monday, January 21, 2013

"Battlefields and Blessings: Stories of Faith and Courage from the Revolutionary War" by Jane Hampton Cook

Battlefields and Blessings: Stories of Faith and Courage from the Revolutionary WarMy rating: 3 of 5 stars

Maybe I'm just spoiled by some of the better devotionals I've read, but this seemed very "light" in that category. A story, a one or two sentence "prayer" and a verse (or sometimes just a fraction of a verse!) for each day. If we ate food like that, we'd starve, and if that is the extent of your "devotions", you'll starve spiritually. The stories were great, and I thoroughly enjoyed them. The verses I had a problem with. The whole point of this book seems to be to teach the reader spiritual things through the lives of our forefathers. When a verse is quoted within the story, the KJV is used, but the verse at the end of each "devotion" is NIV. So, while you're telling me that their lives and experiences are good enough to help my daily life and walk with the Lord, you're also telling me that their Bible wasn't good enough for me today? Sorry, but I took issue with that. The good, christian history is the only thing that pushed this to 3 stars.

I was given this to read and review by AMG Publishers through NetGalley.com. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog! I appreciate any comments, but please keep them family friendly!